Thursday, October 31, 2013

#8 Form Good Habits!!!

In the book "The Power of Habit" Jack Hodge talks about being a freshman in college and on the verge of flunking out of school.  He didn't keep up with the reading, he put off doing papers until it was too late, he tried and tried but he couldn't seem to get his act together.  Then his grandfather gave him some wise advice and this advice changed his life.  It was this:


"There are only two kinds of people
in this world:  dreamers and doers."  he explained.
"Dreamers talk about, think about, dream
about, hope for, even plan on doing
extraordinary things; doers do them!  Right now
you are a dreamer, and it probably seems like
no matter how hard you try you just
can't get yourself to do the things that
you know you should do or that you
would like to do, but you can become a
doer!"  The force that empowers the doer yet holds
back the dreamer is one and the same.

There is nothing extraordinary about these words, we all have habits that we have formed and we pretty much do things the same without even thinking about it.  We truly are creatures of habit.

I have formed a habit of getting up every morning (during the week) at 5:50am.  It use to be earlier and sometimes it's early if I have something on my mind that needs to be done.  Those that know me know this is true and find me on Facebook at 3am sometimes (lol)...But normally my rise and shine time is 5:50am.  I get up and exercise for 30-60 minutes doing either the elliptical, bike or treadmill.  Or I will pick a video out of my stash and get my groove on.  At the end of it all (definitely not during it :-)) -- I feel so accomplished, that I've done something good just for me and I feel that I can NOW start my day!!!!


Love to read my Kindle on the bike and treadmill

Walking is my favorite thing to do during the week (by reading or watching TV) inside and outside (listening to different Podcast on my IPOD) on the weekends where I can walk for hours



My elliptical is a great machine to use while watching TV
                                       

I get a "kick" out of using my step (I had to say it -- LOL)


When I first started this habit it was haaaaaaard!  Girlfriend did not want to get out of bed.  There were many days that I stayed in the bed.  But I knew if I was ever going to exercise, pray and have ANY alone time -- it was going to be when everyone else was asleep.  Eventually after I consistently formed this habit of getting up -- I began to hate missing it.  My day seemed to be thrown off if I didn't get up and take care of my business.  I would tell myself if I overslept that I would get it in sometime throughout the day -- I mean, after all, I am at home, surely I can get it in -- RIGHT, RIGHT??!!?!?!  Before you know it, I'm doing school and helping with homework, dinner and spending time with hubby as he walks in the door, bible study and you guessed it -- the day is done....no time was spent exercising, praying or anything that I told myself I would GET IN ....

OOUCH!  Not trying to read anybodies mail -- I'm just sayin...this was me!  If you don't seem to be getting in the things you know you would like to get in -- evaluate what needs to be done.  It could be ANYTHING that you need to do to form a good habit that will change your life.  Only you know what that something is. 

Jack Hodge in his book The Power of Habit explains,
"It's said that up to 90 percent of our normal behavior is based on habit. 
Think about it.  Most of our daily activities are simply habits.  When and how we get up in the morning, shower, brush our teeth, dress, read the paper, eat, drive to work...
hundreds of habits everyday.  But habits go much deeper
than just our daily routines.  Habits affect, if not control, every
aspect of our lives.  From minute examples like biting your fingernails,
twirling your hair, how you hold a pencil, and how you cross
your arms, to more significant examples like your health --
what you eat, how much you eat, when you eat, if you exercise,
what type of exercise, how long, and how often. 
Even how we interact with friends, family and co-workers is all based on habit.

Start off with something small and try to continue to do that for at least a week.  Don't worry if you get off track, we all do from time-to-time, just don't stay there -- get back up and know that God always supplies us with tomorrow.  Don't beat yourself up, just get back up and keep on trying.  Think about The Little Engine That Could...I Think I Can, I Think I Can, I Think I Can!!!  Sooner or later you will be saying "Awww that's old hat now!!!"

Until next time ....