Thursday, March 7, 2013

#32 What Are You Doing For Spring Break?


What Are You Doing For Spring Break???

Today is March 8th and the first day of spring is March 20th.  With that being said, I'm getting prepared this year for not only my flower garden -- but I'm going to try my hand "AGAIN" at creating a vegetable garden.  Only this time -- Organic!!


What is pushing me this way is the high cost of organic produce.  I want to eat organic fruits and vegetables but how many of you, like me, can't get pass the EXPENSE of organic food at places like Whole Foods Market or Trader Joe's (or for that matter ANY place)?  I know it's suppose to be "better" because it's not sprayed with pesticides and shot-up with steroids -- and yes, that is reason enough to buy organic!  But my goodness -- take advantage of me already -- it's like gas prices!  What's a person to do?  And of course the obvious -- organic comes in smaller quantities for what your getting and the selection is smaller.  Yes, I know, you get what you pay for and I've seen the quotes like the one below:




So with no further ado -- FOR SPRING BREAK --  I'm preparing for vegetable planting.  How??  Well I've been checking out YouTubbers that are helping me prepare.  One of my favorites is:

Learn Organic Gardening at Growing Your Greens



Click on the link above and check out his take on Whole Food Market's pricing of Organic items and what he has done about it.  Be prepared, he's a little excited (lol) -- like a car salesman -- but he's pretty good at his hobby (gardening).




This is what my garden looked like a couple years ago (picture from Google images). 
I enjoy growing vegetables fom containers instead of in the ground.  
I found it difficult for the rabbits to bother.


Last but not least -- there is a "Dirty Dozen" list floating around the Internet on the 12 things that you should buy "organic."  http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214  These have the highest pesticide residue.  They are:



  1. Peaches
  2. Apples
  3. Sweet Bell Peppers
  4. Celery
  5. Nectarines
  6. Strawberries
  7. Cherries
  8. Pears
  9. Grapes (Imported)
  10. Spinach
  11. Lettuce
  12. Potatoes
The least contaminated are:
  1. Onions
  2. Avocado
  3. Sweet Corn (Frozen)
  4. Pineapples
  5. Mango
  6. Asparagus
  7. Sweet Peas (Frozen)
  8. Kiwi Fruit
  9. Bananas
  10. Cabbage
  11. Broccoli
  12. Papaya
If you, like myself, are tired of the high prices of organic produce -- do something about it -- try your hand at growing some of the dirty dozen for yourself.

Until next time...

Please leave a comment on the left.  Thanks for visiting.

No comments: